Translate

14.3.2016

Reminder: Mending/repairing is virtue

Well Spend 15 Minutes And Saved a Few Bucks 



In the old times, times when my granparents were having their peak years and of course after that when my parents were having their peak years, it was a common thing to repair or mend broken things such as socks, gloves, mittens, sweaters, trousers etc. I remember when I was visiting my grandparents and they had their own routine to mending things. There were every afternoon after napping and after they had that (highlight of the day!) afternoon coffee, then there were time to repair things. My grandfather's speciality were mending leather accessories such as leather mittens. My grandmother could repair almost anything. As I was elementary schooler I didn't mend anything but I watched and observed what they were doing. Time past by and I crew up,  had my own peak years and  honestly I did a great job, not really, because I totally forgot this little thing called: mending! 



Now a days it's more common to buy "cheap stuff" and then throw them to the bin after wearing them only somewhat a few times. That's rather sad. That almost happend to me with these gloves. So I bought these "magic" gloves, one size fits all, and used them two or maybe three times,  after the last time I worn them,  they started to  unravel. argh. And they unraveled a lot in a short period of time. I was a little bit irritated about that and truly, I was just about to throw these to the bin but, then I thought, hmmm, maybe I just could fix these and I did! I'm so happy, it took only about 15 minutes to sew these with thred and needle and if you don't look so closely they are almost as good as new ones! Feeling pretty "proud" of my self now, saved few bucks and now I have my gloves again ready to use. If I could manage to do that, maybe you could also try mending before tossing things to the bin, right?

Finnish version Suomeksi

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti